It is important to protect your jewelry during these warm summer months. Here are some simple tips from Jewelry Information Center that will keep your jewelry sparkling all summer long:
- Remove all jewelry before going into a hot tub or swimming pool. The chlorine can damage and discolor metals such as gold and platinum and can slowly erode the finish and polish of gemstones.
- Remove all jewelry before entering salt water as it can have the same effect as chlorine on your fine jewelry.
- After wearing your fine jewelry, wipe it down with a clean, soft, slightly damp cloth. This will enhance the jewelry’s luster and will ensure that it is clean before storage.
- Remove all jewelry before showering, cleaning, applying lotions, and sunscreen. These products cause a film to form on your jewelry, making it appear dull and dingy.
- Store your jewelry in a clean, dry place.
- Keep your jewelry in a fabric-lined jewelry case, or in a box with compartments and dividers to prevent pieces from scratching each other.
- After the season, take it to a reputable jeweler and have it professionally cleaned to maintain the luster and sparkle of your precious baubles.
MORE JEWELRY CLEANING TIPS!